I decided to make some changes to my meal plan this week. Initially my goal was to stay under 1500 calories a day and just aim for the calorie deficit for weight loss. However, I decided that since I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) I really should be watching carbs a bit more.
My new goal is to stay under 1500 calories a day and under 100 grams of carbohydrates per day. This is considered to be a low to moderate carb intake. It’s not low enough to go into ketosis, but it’s low enough to help aid my weight loss. I also started taking a Berberine supplement again. Berberine is beneficial to those with PCOS because it helps lower blood glucose, activates adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase or AMPK (This is known as the metabolic master switch which helps aid weight loss.) and has many other health benefits.
The last time I took Berberine I had pretty good results with a 10 pound weight loss in a month. (This was without exercise.)
I decided to keep it simple this week with eggs and bacon for breakfast, cheese for my snacks and I meal prepped ground turkey zucchini boats for my lunches this week. I plan to eat protein and salad for my dinners this week. If I crave something sweet after dinner I will eat a small portion of fruit (preferably a lower carb fruit such as strawberries.) and possibly a square or two of dark chocolate (also fairly low in sugar).
Here is my health and fitness plan for the week:
• Stay under 100g of carbs per day Monday through Saturday
• Stay under 1500 calories a day Monday through Saturday
• Sunday is cheat day (within moderation of course)
• Follow Buzzfeed exercise plan (3 strength training workouts and 1 cardio workout a week)
• First month goal – Get in at least 5k steps a day (wear pedometer or FitBit)
• Second month goal – Get in at least 10k steps a day (wear pedometer or FitBit)
• Drink 2 glasses of water (16 oz.) when I wake up
• 1-2 glasses of water (8-16 oz.) after walking or working out
• 1 glass of water before each meal (8 oz. x 3 = 24 oz.)
• 1 glass of water before bed (8 oz.)
Here is the recipe for the meal prep I made for my lunches this week:
Ground Turkey Zucchini Boats
Makes 6 servings
6 zucchini, halved
½ large white onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
19 oz. ground turkey (I used the Aldi Fit & Active one again.)
2 cups of the shredded cheese of your choice (I used a mix of cheddar and mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Put about a cup of salsa on the bottom of a casserole dish.
3. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
4. Using a melon baller or spoon, scoop out XXX. Set aside about a cup to mix with the ground turkey.
5. Put zucchini in boiling water for about a minute. Remove and then put in X dish.
6. Saute ground turkey until brown.
7. Add onions, peppers and zucchini. Saute until browned.
8. Add tomato sauce and water.
9. Add seasonings and cook for a few more minutes.
10. Add meat inside of hollowed out zucchini.
11. Top zucchini with cheese.
12. Cook for about 35 minutes or until browned.
13. Remove from oven and enjoy!
Hopefully I can stick to my exercise plan this week! I have tried getting up a little earlier to work out before the kids get up, but it never seems to work out. I typically get up around 6 a.m. and I have tried getting up at 5:30 a.m. and usually I need about 30 minutes to drink a cup of coffee and wake up before I work out and by the time I do this my son gets up. I may just do these workouts after work. Sometimes you have to be realistic! Let me know if you have any questions or comments!